A drunk driving arrest is a serious catastrophe. What should you do if you or someone in your family has to deal with this crisis. Obviously, legal counsel is extremely important. You’ll definitely want to look for an experienced attorney with plenty of DUI cases under his or her belt. Here are some great ways to find one – and some reasons why it’s important according to cprslaw.com.
Referrals are often the easiest way to find lawyers. If you know someone who has applicable experience in dealing with DUI charges, they’ll almost certainly have legal recommendations for you. If you’re looking for other knowledgeable sources of advice, don’t neglect the value of the state side of the legal system! Police officers, court clerks, and bailiffs all see huge numbers of attorneys in action. They’re often in a perfect position to recommend the most effective drunk driving attorneys you can find. Consider this armor-piercing question to get the best results: If you had to deal with a DUI charge yourself, which attorney would you turn to?
Some people turn to their state or local Bar Association to find a lawyer. While this does produce a name or two, it’s really not the best way to find a specialist. In most cases, you’ll simply be sent along to the next law firm on the membership list, regardless of expertise and history. Your entire goal is to find an expert on drunk driving, and this is rarely the way to go about it.
If you don’t have a personal recommendation to fall back on, you can always turn to the Internet. You can educate yourself on the DUI laws that apply to your case, and on the procedures and penalties you’ll be facing. Of course, you can also hunt up lawyers who are familiar with this body of law. Just keep in mind that there’s a ton of advertising going on on the web; you’ll need to verify any attorney’s claims before making a commitment!
The National College For DUI Defense is an excellent online resource. This is a professional association with more than 800 practicing attorneys in its ranks, all of whom concentrate on drunk driving cases. Although finding a lawyer on the NCDUID list doesn’t necessarily guarantee the attorney’s track record, ethical standards, or competence, it is a strong indicator of their commitment and focus on DUI cases. The College’s advantages include a strong emphasis on education. It also certifies attorneys as DUI Defense Specialists. Achieving this certification is a long and demanding process, and the College is the only body authorized by the American Bar Association to award it.
So, in review, here are the core factors you have to keep in mind when you’re looking for a DUI attorney:
1. Defending drunk driving cases is a specialized, technical field of practice. Consider the advantages to be offered by an attorney who concentrates exclusively on this field of law. Always ask a potential lawyer what percentage of DUI cases make up his or her total caseload.
2. No attorney can guarantee success. It’s impossible to accurately predict how a DUI case is going to resolve itself, so you should be extremely wary of a lawyer who assures you of the outcome of your case.
3. Expert witnesses make a difference. A good DUI attorney will be familiar with technical experts who can testify about the intricacies of evidence analysis and even perform independent sample analysis when necessary.
4. Good attorneys are upfront about their fees. Review your contract prior to signing it to ensure that all the financial aspects are thoroughly quantified. Look out for potential “extras” like expert testimony, lab fees, license suspension hearings, and so forth.
5. Every attorney should be checked in the Martindale-Hubbel International Directory of Attorneys. All listed attorneys are rated for ethics and competence.
6. Education makes a difference. Ask about the lawyer’s school and about membership in / certification by the National College for DUI Defense.